March 13, 2015

Blossom's Book Shelf | Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain


I am beyond excited to be starting a new segment on my blog called Blossom's Book Shelf! There is nothing that I love more than curling up on the couch with a warm cup of tea to read a great book. When I am on the lookout for my next great new read, it can be so hard to choose from all the books sitting on a library shelf. That's why I just love browsing through book blogs to see what other readers have enjoyed. I really look forward to sharing my new favorite reads with you guys, so all you bookworms like me out there, make sure you stay tuned ;)

The first book I want to include in Blossom's Book Shelf is one that has really been a huge eye opener for me and helped me accept myself a little more as a person when I felt like I didn't quite fit in. As a little girl, I was extremely shy, but even though I feel like I have overcome a lot of that shyness, I have always felt guilty about preferring a quiet night at home watching movies over a rowdy night at a bar with a bunch of people. When I do go to parties (which I do enjoy from time to time), I always wondered how people could just talk about themselves so openly, while I just stayed there listening curiously without really saying much myself.

Basically, I always felt that there was something a bit abnormal about me. But Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking really made me understand that I shouldn't feel bad about being the way that I am, and that there are actually advantages to preferring solitude and listening instead of speaking.

 Author Susan Cain tells us there is actually a name for people like me: introverts. We prefer listening to speaking, working by ourselves instead of with other people, we don't like talking about ourselves excessively and don't like being the center of attention. And when we do go out to a party with friends on a Saturday night (because yes, we do like spending time with people), we need a little time to recharge our batteries afterwards. I have to say that after reading this book, I finally felt like someone truly understood me. But not only does she explain what introversion is, she also talks about how the quieter nature of introverts gives them a unique power to impact the world in their own way.

Quiet is not an easy read, but it's extremely educational and well researched. If you too are a member of the quiet/solitary/stay at home on a Saturday night club like me, I think this book will definitely help you see how you can put your own unique stamp on the world :)

Have any of you guys read this book? Let me know in the comments below! I would love to hear from you guys.

Susan Cain also has an extremely interesting TED talk titled The Power of Introverts. Make sure you check it out here :)

Until next time,
Olivia -xox-


No comments:

Post a Comment